Friday, April 4, 2008

The Moral Leadership of MLK


Today is the 40th anniversary of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. We honor his memory and keep Dr. King alive through his words and his inspiration. In Detroit, February 1954, he delivered a sermon – not on civil rights or poverty or the things that made him most famous. A young preacher, he gave a sermon called “Rediscovering lost values” about morality and leadership in a message that we need to hear again today. You can read (and hear) the full sermon at Stanford University's online MLK Papers Project. I have selected a few paragraphs to introduce tonight's service:

"I want you to think with me this morning from the subject: "Rediscovering Lost Values." There is something wrong with our world, something fundamentally and basically wrong…. And when we stop to analyze the cause of our world's ills, many things come to mind.

We begin to wonder if it is due to the fact that we don't know enough. But it can't be that. Because in terms of accumulated knowledge we know more today than men have known in any period of human history.… I think we have to look much deeper than that if we are to find the real cause of man's problems and the real cause of the world's ills today. If we are to really find it I think we will have to look in the hearts and souls of men.

The trouble isn't so much that we don't know enough, but it's as if we aren't good enough. The trouble isn't so much that our scientific genius lags behind, but our moral genius lags behind. The great problem facing modern man is that the means by which we live have outdistanced the spiritual ends for which we live. So we find ourselves caught in a messed-up world.… The real problem is that through our scientific genius we've made of the world a neighborhood, but through our moral and spiritual genius we've failed to make of it a brotherhood. The great danger facing us today is … not so much that atomic bomb that you can put in an aeroplane and drop on the heads of hundreds and thousands of people—as dangerous as that is. But the real danger confronting civilization today is that atomic bomb which lies in the hearts and souls of men, capable of exploding into the vilest of hate and into the most damaging selfishness—that's the… bomb that we've got to fear today.

I'm not going to put my ultimate faith in things. I'm not going to put my ultimate faith in gadgets and contrivances. As a young man with most of my life ahead of me, I decided early to give my life to something eternal and absolute. Not to these little gods that are here today and gone tomorrow, but to God who is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

I'm not going to put my ultimate faith in the little gods that can be destroyed in an atomic age, but the God who has been our help in ages past, and our hope for years to come, and our shelter in the time of storm, and our eternal home. That's the God that I'm putting my ultimate faith in. That's the God that I call upon you to worship [today].

If we are to go forward, we must go back and rediscover these precious values: that all reality hinges on moral foundations and that all reality has spiritual control. God bless you."

No comments:

Post a Comment