Thursday, November 19, 2009

Welcome to the blogosphere

I was reminded recently that I should explain the blog and my "editorial philosophy." I know that many of you already know what a blog is and have a sense of how a blog differs from a traditional website or the webpages of a mainstream newspaper or news network (like CNN.com or WashingtonPost.com). I use this blog to post quick, short pieces that reflect my opinion about events related to the Jewish world, our temple, and American culture in general. I often use more humor and sarcasm here than I would use in a sermon or bulletin article. Like most blogs, my postings sometimes sacrifice thoroughness of research for speed of posting. In other words, they are short, quick reactions to stories I have seen in the news or around us. I use the blog for three purposes: 1. to bring stories to your attention that you might otherwise miss (since I don't expect you to weed through the Jewish news sources as much as I do). 2. Elicit comments and discussion on issues. 3. Offer my opinion and perspective. I have changed postings after they've been up for a few days - especially as comments point out mistakes or counterpoints or the stories themselves are disproven (see the J Street entry below for an example of one that I've changed since originally posting).

In short, welcome to the blog. Feel free to comment, flame, praise, dismiss, log-off, whatever. But, please, join the conversation if you see something that moves you!

What's a blog?


No comments:

Post a Comment