Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Keep it simple

I am trying to become a better writer. There’s just one problem. I am a rabbi and every attempt to read a book on writing finds me caught up in closely reading the text. It’s sad. A non-fiction, self-help book has become fuel for my latest midrash. I even find a homily in the explanation of homonyms.

I have been reading William Zinsser’s On Writing Well, but I’ve not progressed much past chapter two, “Simplicity.” Zinsser had me at, “hello” – or at least at this: “The secret of good writing is to strip every sentence to its cleanest components…. A clear sentence is no accident.” Zinsser insists that good writing requires thought, hard work, and revision. I suppose it’s not so simple to reach simplicity.

While Judaism certainly has its tendency to make simple things complex, there’s an equally strong impulse to simplify, especially in the rabbinic period. There are several different mitzvot that Talmudic sages teach are equal to the entirety of the other mitzvot (i.e. These are the duties whose worth is without measure…. But the study of Torah is equal to them all because it leads to them all). There are several attempts to reduce the teachings of Judaism to a simple few. Most well known is the story of Hillel and the pagan who requests to convert to Judaism on the condition that Hillel can teach him the entire Torah while standing one foot. Hillel offers: Whatsoever is hateful to you don’t do to other people. That’s the entire Torah. The rest is commentary. Now go and learn.

Hillel offers two great lessons in one: be nice to other people and keep it simple. Zinsser would be proud.

p.s. Are you interested in trying to simplify your life? Here are a few suggestions:
Unsubscribe from all that BACN (e-mail newsletters, etc.) and RSS feeds.
Turn off your cell phone when you're not available.
Take your wallet down to one credit card.
Say what you mean.
Stop "surfing" the internet and just go where you need for what you need.
Get rid of any clothing you haven't worn in a year or more (donate it charity).

Got any good ideas for simplifying our lives? Post them here on comments... You can do it anonymously.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Rabbi Roos!
    As a former professional writer, I still find myself trying to keep simplicity in my writings and in my life in general. My advice to keep it simple in life is to make lists, lists, lists. If you don't do everything on the list, no problem. You can always make another list tomorrow! Enjoy every moment of life.

    ReplyDelete