Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Torah is for Kvelling

I have to brag. My older son chanted from the Torah on Thursday during the services at his school. It was his first time to chant publicly and he was absolutely amazing. I admit that I had my doubts. Tuesday night I learned that he had not really practiced and I was sure that he wouldn't be able to pull it off. He needed to study for two tests and a quiz, he had extracurricular activities and we were dealing with the flu in our house. 36 hours was nearly impossible. But Wednesday night he came to the temple to practice from the scroll and he was great (bar mitzvah students warning: do not try this at home. You must study weekly and not put off your preparations until the night before you bar mitzvah!). Almost every bar/bat mitzvah student I work with hears the same thing from me when they read the Torah from the scroll for the first time: "There are a thousand reasons you should not be standing here to read from this scroll. From the historical attempts to destroy Jews to the simple things like a dead car battery, you standing at the Torah and reading it was not guaranteed. You represent every Jew who ever stood as you do before the scroll and every Jew who never had the chance. You also represent the future of the Jewish people for without Jewish people keeping this central tradition, we will have no Judaism." I have been with hundreds of 12 year olds for that moment. They are incredible. But nothing compares to the moment my own son stood before his peers and chanted Vaera like a hazzan.

Ironically, I had a conversation this morning about Baldwin Davidson, may his memory be a blessing. In cleaning out his apartment, Baldy's son found two books that he wanted to pass on: a copy of S.Y. Agnon's "Days of Awe" with an inscription from me thanking Baldy for all his years of service leading the corps of ushers and a worn copy of the Torah. Baldy had written on the inside cover of the Torah the name of the portion and the date that he had read publicly from the scroll. Baldy came to Torah reading late in life. He didn't know Hebrew, let alone trope or parshanut. But several years ago with the help of many good friends - especially Karen Karl, Rabbi Priesand and Cantor Clissold, Baldwin learned to read from the Torah and did it for our congregation a few times every year. He always dressed in a suit and got nervous before he read, but every time he read, it reminded me how important it is to read the Torah. And I kvelled. That is what the Torah is really for. Kvelling.

You may not be able to learn a portion in 36 hours, but that doesn't mean you can't learn. It's your turn now. Everyone who reads this should read from the Torah. Call me and we'll get started.

1 comment: