Monday, August 2, 2010

Better take that vacation...

No seriously, I've been warned about the high rates of clergy burnout, unhealthiness and stress, but I did not know the problem was getting such a thorough study.  I also wouldn't have expected that a story about it would be so popular (#5 most emailed on NYTimes website after 2 days).  Saturday's NYTimes carried this story:

N.Y. / Region Section, Published: August 1, 2010
Taking a Break From the Lord’s Work
By PAUL VITELLO

Clerics, who suffer from high rates of obesity and depression, are being advised to take more time off.
I will admit a few things here: 1. Ever since my first year in the full time clergy world, I take all my vacation time.  Thanks to Rabbi Scott Shpeen who led by example and made sure I took time off as his assistant.  2. I try to exercise several times weekly, see a doctor and dentist regularly and do what they tell me to do to stay healthy.  So far so good.  But...  3. I spend way too much time on my BlackBerry and logging in to email even while on vacation and days off.  4.  I don't think we (clergy) do a good job accepting criticism, living with others' disappointment in us, or celebrating our successes.  At least I don't think I do.

I am interested to know: is this story news to my non-clergy readers? Why do non-clergy care to read the article so much?

1 comment:

  1. There is also a poll being done by Fox News of their viewers to determine what percentage take all of their vacation time. Apparently it's that time of year!

    ReplyDelete