Sunday, May 22, 2011

This ain't no picnic

You guys don’t miss a beat. First, of all I’m sorry that I went off line from this blog for so long. I really didn’t know you cared – or at least I didn’t know you were reading. In three unrelated conversations this past week, people mentioned that they check here frequently and like to see the perspective offered. None of those people said a thing about the lack of new entries for several months but… Oy, the guilt. So, thank you Jonathan, Nadine, Guy and the rest of you.


Second of all, who knew how many people would ask why we are not having the “traditional,” end-of-year religious school picnic?! Of course you know that I’ve not been at Sinai for any of the previous picnics so I can’t say what those were like. You should also know that this was not my decision – which is not to say that I don’t support it because I do. But I am still surprised to hear how much influence and power people expect me to have over every thing that happens at Sinai. I suppose I do have significant authority and influence, but our congregation is large with an outstanding team of professional and volunteer lay leaders. In other words: Jill Stepak, her staff and her committee members make the decisions and run the school program with my full support. And I think that they have put together a great event to close our school year and celebrate the cycle of learning. Jill notes that this day is meant to, “Demonstrate the learning of our students in a fun and interactive way and to celebrate the year with our students, their families and our teachers all together.”

Sure, this ain’t no picnic but I think it’ll be even better. The Museum of Limmud features each class and each student’s work, Teacher Appreciation speaks for itself (right?), Kesher Café keeps us fed, and the Chana Rothman concert will be just plain fun. But if this doesn't stack up to previous year's picnics let me know. Check Chana out here:

No comments:

Post a Comment